Winnsboro Public Safety urges residents to be cautious when using heating devices such as space heaters or fireplaces. These appliances are the nation’s leading causes of home fires and fire fatalities.
For added safety this winter, follow these tips:
• Always turn space heaters off when leaving a room or going to sleep.
• Have your chimney or wood stove inspected and cleaned by a certified specialist.
• Keep things that can burn, such as paper, bedding, furniture, clothing, etc. at least 3 feet away from heating devices.
• Make sure the area around a fireplace’s hearth is clear of debris, decorations and flammable materials.
• Use heating equipment that has the label of a recognized testing laboratory.
• Make sure all fuel-burning equipment is vented to the outside to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause illness and even death.
• Install and maintain carbon monoxide alarms inside your home, which can provide an early warning.
For any questions, please feel free to contact Winnsboro Public Safety at 803-635-2222.